Rules of Conduct
- Patrons shall be engaged in normal activities associated with the use of the public library while in the building. Patrons not engaged in reading, studying, research, or appropriate use of library resources may be asked to leave the building. Loitering and sleeping are not allowed.
- Patrons shall respect the right of other patrons and library employees and shall not annoy others through noisy or boisterous activities, by cell phone use, by monopolizing resources, or by other behavior which may reasonably result in the disturbance of other persons in the library.
- Physical, verbal, and sexual harassment, i.e. exposure or offensive touching, are prohibited in the library.
- Any materials removed from the library must be checked out on a valid library card or through other standard library procedures such as interlibrary loan.
- Patrons are expected to be aware of and follow the rules set by the Internet Use and Circulation Policies.
- Patrons shall not deface or mar books, magazines, newspapers, recordings or other items of the library collection nor shall they deface, mar, or in any way destroy or damage library furnishings, walls, machines, or other library property.
- Patrons shall not be permitted to enter the building without a shirt or other covering on their upper bodies or without shoes or other footwear.
- Personal hygiene shall conform to the standard of the community for public places. Individuals with offensive body odor leading to complaints from other library users and/or staff will be required to leave.
- Children under the age of 9 must not be left unattended on library premises.
- Smoking is not permitted in any area of any library facility, or in any area where secondary smoke will enter a library facility.
- The library staff reserves the right to limit or prohibit the consumption of food and beverages within any facility.
- Skateboarding, in-line skating, and biking are prohibited on the steps and breezeway in front of the library. Bicycles must be left outside the building. Skateboards and in-line skates must be carried when inside the building.
- Patrons must leave the library promptly upon closing.
- Consumption of alcoholic beverages is not permitted on library property, except as part of a library sponsored program authorized by the Library Board.
Failure to comply with these rules may result in being asked to leave the library and/or the loss of library use privileges.
Adopted November 6, 2002